Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hospital and Zoo


Gracie has her check-ups every three months. The hospital is only a couple of miles from the zoo so after an excellent Pulmonary Function Test of 133 we met some friends at the zoo. The weather was nice, there were hardly any people there and the animals seemed happy to see us. (Especially Tino, the gorilla)

I wish I could have gotten a better picture of Tino because he was the most interesting, disgusting gorilla we've ever encountered. He was sitting right by the glass with his back facing us. Every few seconds he would turn his head to look at us as he chewed on something he kept putting into his mouth. A big, brown something. As he popped the last morsel into his mouth, he reached down to his back-side and grabbed another snack, fresh from his bum. Disgusting? Yes, I know. My kids were enthralled. Frankly, so was I. We could have sat and watched that dirty ole gorilla all day, but life and reality awaited us at home.

On the way home I remembered my dad telling a story about the gorilla in the Birmingham, AL zoo and threw up into his hands then threw it all over my dad. Lovely. I guess I'm grateful for glass enclosures now instead of bars.

We look forward to our next zoo excursion. Thanks, Kendi, for entertaining us for the afternoon!

No comments: