Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ice Cream and Pen Pals

A little over a year ago, Grace, CJ and I were flying home to Alabama for a Cystic Fibrosis fundraiser my mom was putting on. We had a layover in Texas and as we waited I sat with CJ on a bench and watched Gracie dance for us. After a few minutes of this an elderly gentleman walked over and said, "I've enjoyed watching your daughter dance so much the last few minutes. She is just filled with joy. Can I buy her an ice cream cone?" I said, "Sure," and within a few minutes he returned with a cone of Butter Pecan Ice Cream (don't all older people love Butter Pecan?). Gracie was so happy and gobbled it down (despite the fact that she'd finished an ice cream cone about 20 minutes before.) We thanked the man and parted ways.

A little later we boarded our flight to find we were on the same flight with the gentleman. We greeted one another again. When the flight ended and we exited the plane, I found this man waiting for us in the terminal. He handed me a slip of paper with his and his wife's name and address on it. He said, "My wife Cecily and I would love to have you and your husband and children come visit us. There is something special about your little girl and we'd love to get to know you all." We never got to go visit Mr. and Mrs. Hovanes but throughout the last year we've become great pen-pals. Many letters and photos have been exchanged back and forth and with every trip to the mailbox I've hoped for a new letter from my 86 year old friend. He's done so much in his life, has a wonderful family that loves him dearly and a wife whom he adored and who adored him. The last few weeks I've been anticipating a letter from him when yesterday it arrived...only it was from his wife.

Cecily explained to me that her dear husband had fallen from a ladder and had passed away from the injuries involved. He was surrounded by his six loving sons and wife and will surely be missed by all. In her letter she said something that I can't get out of my mind, "I must tell you he so enjoyed your letters, loved the pictures of your wonderful family you sent him from time to time and admired your loving care you gave the little ones when he met you in the airport. I do thank you for giving him that pleasure."

I don't repeat this to toot my horn but rather to remind myself how closely other people are watching. Sometimes we are unaware and almost always we are clueless as to where these "first impressions" could lead. I am grateful Mr. Hovanes just happened to catch us in a good moment! My life has been richly blessed by a man that could have forever remained a stranger. I will always cherish my pen-pal and the things his letters taught me. My sincerest thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Hovanes for sharing with me.


John Hovanes
June 11, 1921 April 14, 2008
John Hovanes, 86, of Huntsville passed away Monday. Mr. Hovanes, a survivor of Pearl Harbor, served throughout World War II in the Pacific Theater and was present at Okinawa. He was a retired aerospace engineer and sculptor. He received his degree in fine art from Canterbury University in New Zealand. Survivors include his wife, Cecily Hovanes; sons, Michael, Stephen, Robert, Peter, Bruce, and Kenneth Hovanes; and nine grandchildren. A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Thursday at Temple B'Nai Sholom with Rabbi Jeffrey Ballon officiating. Burial will follow in Maple Hill Cemetery. Laughlin Service Funeral Home is assisting the family. Memorial donations may be made to Temple B'Nai Sholom.

7 comments:

Moore Family said...

You've told me this story before and I've always found it quite interesting how you guys have stayed in touch. You really must have made a great impression on him for him to come up to you first of all and then keep in contact with you after all this time.
I'm sure this won't be the last time you'll see your pen pal.
What a great story! Thanks for sharing it again.

heidi larsen said...

i never knew about your special pen-pal's. how wonderful. i am so sad that he passed away though. too bad you never got to go and visit him and his sweet wife. where do they live? great story! thanks for sharing it!

The Bonham Family said...

Ok, your past two posts have just made me cry! Call it whatever you want! That story is so precious, my first recation in a busy state might have been "Oh no thanks she just had an icecream cone" But you listened deeper and look how much more enriched you must have made him and his wife. What a neat story! Im glad you got to keep in touch with him. There are some great people out there! Im sorry he passed he'll be up there cheering you guys on! I can totally picture Grace dancing around all over! So cute!

Kacey said...

Wow Lora...what an amazing story and you wrote it so beautifully. This is such a great reminder. Do you mind if I share this?

Jo said...

How very touching. I saw this post on Kacey's blog and ventured over to yours. The story brought tears to my eyes as I read.

You just never know when you're going to touch a life and to what extent. It is so hard to let our guard down and trust in the world we live in. How wonderful that you did and met such an amazing person and their family.

Thank you for sharing your story, I will remember this the next time I meet a kind and sincere person. Maybe I will be lucky enough to meet a new friend as you did.

Kim said...

That story was so sweet and tender. And I'm not at all surprised that it was you and your sweet daughter who touched this man's heart. You've always had a way with people and have been so easy to love. Children can be so full of pure joy, and it's neat that this man expressed his thanks for it out loud. Most of us would watch and smile, but never say a word.

Car Pool Guy said...

Hello,

My name is Ken Hovanes, I am one of John's children. First, I must thank you for the kind words about my father. He really was one heck of a nice man. He always treated my children with more love than you can imagine.

His death was a very unfortunate event. And we discovered there were several individuals with whom he maintained penpal relationships, who had to be notified.

He unfortunate demise was the result of numerous complications from his fall, but mind you, he wouldn't have lived his life any other way. He was active and as sharp as a tack up until the fall from the ladder.

Dad really loved children. He would show affection when we were kids by biting our fingers and throwing us in the air.

And that memory of him will continue... as we watch recordings and view pictures of him.

Your kind words about my father bring me happiness and re-validate what we all knew...

He was a good man.

He is missed terribly.

Ken Hovanes