Saturday, December 13, 2008

Where is Your "Home"


A good friend of mine had this post on her blog that made me think about "home."

This will always be my "home." Northern Alabama...The cudzu, the cotton fields, the miles of green trees all speak peace to my mind. Strangers waving as they pass you on the road, making a new friend each time you wait in the check out line at the grocery store and the genuine people that may have little but are rich in happiness.

Many times when I am rude to a phone or door solicitor I come away feeling guilty. That wasn't the way I was raised. I was reminded of this last Christmas season at the mall with my dad. We were stopped by a salesman with a booth filled with wind chimes in the middle of the mall. Shiny, metal, tacky windchimes. Rather than blowing him off, my dad stopped, smiled, made eye contact and listened for what seemed like hours as this guy with a foreign accent rambled on about his wind chimes and how beautiful they were. After he'd finished the entire explanation, my dad politely told him that they were beautiful but that he would have to pass on them this time. As we walked away I tought to myself, "lesson learned."

I love Utah. It is a great place to raise a family. I am grateful to be here. But in my heart, my "home" will always be Alabama.

Where is your "home"??

6 comments:

heidi larsen said...

wow. my home. hmmm. my home is where my family is. i think this post is great. your home sounds amazing. sometimes i wish that i still had my childhood home to go back to. i love the home that my parent's have now, but i didn't grow-up in it. more than anything i miss grandma and grandpa bonham's home on dimple dell. i dream about their house all of the time. i miss it.

Christie said...

Lora, that is so true. Sometimes in life, we are so busy that we forget to take the time to truely think about others and thier feelings because we are in a rush! Thanks for making me take a second glance!

Moore Family said...

This time of year always makes me long for home too! I always love to read your posts.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lora, Take a look at my blog for my similar post. I love you and your family. Thank you for welcoming my family into your home - it made Alabama home for us. Ronda

carey said...

I remember this about you! You told me about being from here when we first chatted on the phone. I love the South. I'm from Vegas - - it will always be home to me, as crazy and dysfunctional as it is. ;)

brooke and josh said...

Love it! No wonder you are always wanting to go back, I dont blame you one bit... love the family picture.