Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A night in the life of Gracie Bonham











Do you ever have moments when your kids do something that make you go "Wow, I am incredibly lucky to be your mom." Last night was one of those for me. Grace had to do an overnight sleep study at Primary Children's Medical Center. She's always been a terrible snorer and extremely restless in her sleep so her ENT wanted to do the study before he would remove her tonsils. He wanted to make sure there isn't anything else going on that we should know about. It took almost an hour and two grown men to get her all glued, taped and wrapped up for the study...Then she was supposed to go to sleep with all that junk on her! After finishing up with all the probes the guys verbally awarded Gracie with the "Bravest patient of the night award." She just giggled.

Throughout the night I could hear kids down the hall screaming "take it off" and didn't doubt that I might be screaming the same thing if I was in their place. I laid awake staring at the ceiling and thinking about that little girl in the bed next to me. She hasn't always taken these things well. There was a time when every doctor's visit included her kicking and screaming and me crying but slowly over the years she's become accustomed to it all; the poking, sticking and taping. She is learning to take it all with grace....I think we picked the right name for her after all.

4 comments:

Moore Family said...

Okay I am totally in tears reading that. What an incredible little patient. In those pictures you can tell just how happy she is with herself.
I think her parents have also helped her be a strong little individual! Great job guys!
Kendi

carey said...

What an amazing little girl Gracie is. I think these kids are just born with that "amazing" gene, don't you?! You should be very proud. I'm so glad she likes the fried cheerios!!!

heidi larsen said...

she is adorable. you certainly did pick the perfect name for her!

zoie hasn't given me anything yet. she said she would give me a cd for of the pictures and i told her i would burn everyone their own copy. i don't know how she is doing the individual family pictures... as soon as i get the disc from her i will let everyone know! ;)

The Bonham Family said...

I love my little cowgirl Gracie! That name is perfect. Tell her Aunt Jenny is so proud of her and wants to take her to get an icecream cone to tell her what a tough girl she is! Caden cries for Gracie before he goes to bed and needs to play with her...We'll call you soon!