Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th!

Well, I've finally done it. I've succumbed to the world of blogging. I figure if I'm going to be terrible at journal writing, maybe this blogging thing will trick me into journaling. We had a great 4th of July! Happy Independence everyone! We joined Suzanna and Lee's family for swimming, hot dogs, fireworks and all wonderful things that come with the 4th. Craig and the girls went to Stadium of Fire and boogied with Hannah Montana while the twins and I just played at Suzy's.

As I sat out by the pool and watched the jets fly in formation overhead, my eyes swelled up with tears. We are so blessed to live in this amazing country with so many freedoms we take for granted every day. My sister Lynn sent me a story about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. What I took most from it was a quote from a letter John Adams sent to his wife Abigail after signing the Declaration (which actually took place on July 2nd, 1776):

"The second day of July 1776 will be the most memorable ephocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the Day of Deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other from this time forward forever more."

Many, many women and men have given their lives so that I can sit by the pool on the 4th of July sipping lemonade and watching my kids run and play.... I am blessed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the blog! I'm excited to check on all of the fun things your family is up to. We sure love having you as neighbors.

heidi larsen said...

yay! so glad that you have a blog!

Kacey said...

Yeah Lora! I'm so glad you have a blog. (And I KNOW you are such a talented writer so I'm looking forward to all your future posts!) :-)

Happy 4th of July! That is a great quote.

Moore Family said...

Wow, I am very impressed with your blogging abilities. Now we just need some pictures of your cute kiddos! Speaking of pictures, we're doing them THIS week, no matter what!
Talk to you soon.