Monday, July 21, 2008

My brother...My hero



Craig says he's never seen me put anyone on a pedastel the way I do my brother and I must admit its true. It's all those years of being the little sister and thinking that your big brother is the smartest, strongest boy in the world. Those long, hot and humid summer days growing up playing whatever random game he came up with (shooting those little green army men with his bb gun that he'd placed all throughout the garden, playing demolition derby in the hallway, dungeons and dragons, card games for hours in the playhouse, dressing up all goofy, sliding in the mud on our tummies in the flooded backyard.) Life was never boring with Mike around. He made me laugh until I peed my pants so many times growing up. He was the greatest thing in life. He wasn't just a big brother. He was my best friend that always let me tag along with him and "the boys" and never once acted like it wasn't cool to have his little sister around.

Mike came to visit us this weekend. He was recently promoted to Major in the Air Force and will be moving to Florida soon. He came to see us for a last visit while his wife and kids were in Alabama. After he left I sat at the table with Lizzie and Grace and as we ate lunch I got sad and started to get teary-eyed thinking about him moving so far away. The girls started asking me a million questions and I explained to them that someday they would feel the same way about each other. Someday they would grow up, get married and have children and that they may not always live close to each other. I told them how sad it would be when they didn't see each other very often but how much they would cherish the memories of sharing bunkbeds and giggling in bed long after bedtime, catching frogs, riding bikes together and playing all kinds of crazy games they come up with throughout the day. They looked at each other and Grace said, "Mom, I'm just always going to live right next to Lizzie, even after I have babies. And Mom, I'm going to bring my babies over to your house every day."

I love you big bro! Thanks for the great weekend and a lifetime of great memories! You will always be my hero.

Love, Lora

4 comments:

Kacey said...

I loved this post! And congratulations to your brother on his promotion in the Air Force. He's sounds like an amazing big brother! My little (and only) brother will be here next week for a few days before he heads overseas for two years (he's a Marine)so I understand the feeling of being far apart...makes me teary-eyed too!
(and so cute that your girls want to always live by each other!)

The Bonham Family said...

So I don;t think I have ever met your brother! He seems like a great guy! Im glad you had some time to spend with him. I wish him luck on his promotion. And by the way I would have flashed you being on or off my crazy medicine! It might have just been a bit longer of a flash due to the fact of being looney!!!! But I hope you enjoyed it! Love ya. Hope to see you soon. We missed you at the Famous Daves last week. Talk to you soon. I miss your girls and Caden keeps talking about Grace so we must go do something fun!

heidi larsen said...

i love that you and your brother are so close! i didn't know he was moving to florida. i am glad that you got to see him last weekend! love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for saying all those nice things about me, Lora. All lies, but still nice. Had a great time last weekend. Too bad it went by so fast.

By the way, you haven't returned my phone calls over the last few days, so I guess communication with my little Sis has been reduced to blogging (I can use the word "blog" now that know what it means). Since you haven't called me back, while I'm here I might as well tell you what I called about.......

I mailed the springs for that toy horse. You should get them by the middle of the week. Also, Mom called and said you were upset with me because of something I said at your house, but I have no idea what it could be. Surely you would have told me?

Love you, tell the family Hi. -Mike