Friday, October 3, 2008

Where will you stand?

I must admit I didn't think I'd ever post a political message but after much thought and consideration I decided to step up onto my soap box. I must attest that I do not know as much as I should about the presidential candidates. I know bits and pieces on "the issues". Some I like about both sides, some I don't and some I absolutely cannot stand by and allow myself to be silent about. One issue, that hasn't been discussed much this election, is one that I'm afraid matters more to me than the rise and fall of the economy and drilling for oil...

To illustrate my point I'd like to share the following clip my sister sent to me. I hope you will all take the time to watch it. It made me cry. http://www.catholicvote.com/

When casting our votes this November I hope we will remember what we each hold dear. For me that is family, people and relationships. Consider the fact that Obama has pledged to use FEDERAL funding to help pay for abortions. In 2007 he voted against banning partial birth abortion. If you've never fully understood what a partial birth abortion entails then please read a detailed description here: Please prepare yourself before you read. It is very detailed. http://www.abortionfacts.com/literature/literature_9313pb.asp

I don't know a lot about foreign policies, free trade or gun control but I do know that LIFE is paramount. For anyone that has even held a newborn baby and looked into their perfect face and considered who is this person would someday become, I think you can relate. The idea of using federal funding to end a living soul is inexecusable and in my humble opinion, someone that can diminish the value of a life so easily should not be elected as our President.

I will now step down. I hope I haven't lost any friends over this!

7 comments:

Moore Family said...

Good for you for standing for something that's very important - I totally agree that defending life is incredibly important.

Russell M. Nelson, one of the 12 apostles of the LDS church, wrote an article in this month's Ensign magazine that was bold and to the point. It's called "Abortion: An Assault on the Defenseless".

He states that over 40 million abortions are performed every year, more than the combined military casualties of World War I and World War II combined.

As for choice he says, "The rights of one individual do not allow the rights of another individual to be abused.... A woman's choice for her own body does not include the right to deprive her baby of life - and a lifetime of choices that her child would make."

Glen

Kacey said...

I feel more confused than ever with this election. GOOD for YOU for taking a stand!

Seems like in past elections, moral issues like this have had more focus. It seems like all we hear about with this election is the economy and foreign policy/war issues. This is not something I've heard about yet and will definitely research to find out more!

carey said...

Lora, good for you for speaking your mind! I'm with you - - I still have a lot to learn about many issues, but I know where I stand on many. It's so important that people voice their opinions and let themselves be heard this election. :)

Unknown said...

I loved that video too and am so glad to see you standing up for it as well.

One thing many people don't know is that the woman who Roe v. Wade is based on actually changed sides years later and is now pro-life.

I read her autobiography and it's fascinating. I'm sorry, can't remember the name, but it's out there if you Google it I'm sure.

Thanks for spreading the news. That video is truly beautiful and so non-partisan I can't believe anyone can complain.

Be bold!:)
JOY

The Bonham Family said...

What a good post. It is important to voice your opinion and stand for what you believe in especially for our Country. That really made me emotional. Thanks for putting it on. I want to share it too, so I hope you don;t mind if I do.

Lora Bonham said...

Jenny, You are absolutely welcome to use this post in your own blog.
Love you guys!

Kim said...

AMEN, sista! I'm so thankful for people who aren't afraid to stand up for what they know is right. And as for those who are confused about the candidates and who to vote for, remember that even though you may not completely agree with every point on every issue, sometimes a vote AGAINST the other candidate is the best you can do.